- Sally (Sarah) Richardson+ b. c 1778, d. 21 Jul 1844; Argument in favor of Jesse Richardson, Jr. being Sally Richardson's father.
Jesse Richardson, b.8 Mar 1730, Groton. Middlesex County, MA (VR). Son of Benjamin (Thomas, James, Ezekiel) and Eunice (Butterfield) Richardson. Benjamin was in Rockingham, VT in 1753. (Vinton). See note: below.
1. Jesse Richardson b. 1756-1774 (1800 Census, Shrewsbury, VT).
2. Jesse Richardson b. before 1765 (1810 Census, Shrewsbury, VT). Also in same census; male 16-25 (b. 1785 and 1794, who could be the fourth Jesse).
3. Jesse Richardson b. 1776-1795 (1820 Census, Clarendon, VT).
4. Jesse Richardson b. 1791-1800, d. 3 Oct 1838, N. Granville, NY; m. 4 Oct 1812, Shrewsbury, VT Ruth Jones (Find-A- Grave and VT VR). He was 47 when he died according to his gravestone, making his birth year 1791.
The first two were probably the same Jesse.
The third Jesse could be the same as the fourth Jesse.
The fourth Jesse was probably the son of the Jesse b. between 1756 - 1774.
From a letter dated 27 July 1993 by Anne F. Spencer of the Shrewsbury Historical Society:
Land was surveyed for a Jesse Richardson in Shrewsbury, VT, in 1788-1789.
Probably the same Jesse signed The Great Road Lottery Petition 6 Oct 1791.
This Jesse is the one I call #1 & #2 above.
He had a wife named Elizabeth
He was dead by 1811.
From a letter dated 18 Jan 1993 by Dawn Hance, author of a Shrewsbury history:
“There was a Jesse who married Catherine Hamilton at Barre, MA, ca 1780. They divorced ca 1799 and he married 2nd, Elizabeth. He died ca 1811 according to probate”. I can find no marriage record for Jesse & Catherine Hamilton..However, Dawn is correct in stating that Jesse died in 1811 and his wife Elizabeth died a pauper in 1819. The Jesse who married Elizabeth is probably Jesse #2.
A Sally Richardson was excommunicated from the Baptist Church in the east part of Clarendon, ca 1809/10. Dawn said, “I suppose she could have been Sally’s mother.”
Note: The first man to settled in Shrewsbury was Captain Lemuel White, who came from Rockingham, VT, in 1777. (History of Rutland County, page 803). Jesse’s younger brother Seth died at Rockingham in 1757. It’s a good bet that Jesse #1 also came from there as well. (Vinton, page 68).
Most of the Shrewsbury people came from Barre, Mass., Richmond, NH or RI.
There was a Rufus Richardson listed in the 1790 census at Barre, MA. He had a wife and two daughters at that time. This Rufus was probably the son of Davis and Esther (Breck) Richardson and he was born at Medway, Middlesex County, MA, 21 Sep 1761. (Richardson Memorial, page 729)
A Rufus was listed in the 1800 census at Shrewsbury, VT, Born between 1756 and 1774. This was no doubt the Rufus of Barre, MA, listed above.
A David Richardson was also listed at Shrewsbury in the 1800 census. He was born between 1775 and 1784. He was probably the son of Rufus, having been named after Rufus’s father and elder brother.
Rufus married at Barre, 24 Feb 1787, Ruth Holden (Barre vital records, page 192). My Sally was born about 1778, so Rufus was not her father.
Analyzing all of the dates and records above suggests that it was possible that Sally (Richardson) Jenks could have been the daughter of Jesse, b. before 1765 (#1 & 2).4
- Jesse Richardson III6 b. 1791, d. 3 Oct 1838